Friday, May 8, 2009

Snyder Fire Department

Yesterday afternoon the fire whistle blew several times in an unusual sequence. I thought it sounded different, and knew everyone would be wondering, so I called city hall to find out what was going on, then sent out an email to my local list telling them that they had installed new sirens and were testing them.

It's so hard to get any kind of information out in Snyder without a local TV or radio station. (I know, we do have a somewhat local radio station, but I don't think many people listen to the radio unless there's a ball game on.) Anyway, I did have a comment from someone at the awards assembly last night thanking me, and I received this email from the fire chief this morning, so maybe the internet is the best way to communicate these days.

Dear Dee,

I am Bill Graves the Snyder Fire Chief.Someone forwarded your email to me.Just thought I would send you an email to clarify the new storm sirens.These sirens are operated by radio.There is a new base radio in city hall and one in the fire station.The new sirens are located on the south part of town near the old Phillips 66 gas station and the second is located at the coop on the north end of town. the new base radios can activate the sirens for storm or fires.In the future we hope to get hand-held radios so that fireman out storm spotting can sound the sirens without having to go to city hall or the fire station. The old sirens are still hooked up to the switch in city hall.They can not be activated by radio and will only be used in case we need to amplify the new sirens. All sirens working together should give people much needed warning in case of tornadoes.In the future we would like to get away from using the sirens for fire calls.Just to alleviate any confusions.That will mean getting better hand-held radios that can page fireman also.
I would like to add that these new sirens were acquired through a grant that former city clerk Faye Dwyer and former councilman Allen Ford worked on for four years before their departure from city hall.It has taken a while to receive the grant but it finally came through.The sirens cost the city nothing.After all these years it is nice to have better sirens that also have battery back up.So if we loose power,we still have sirens.May we not need to use them in the near future.But if needed we can warn citizens of dnagers before it is too late.

Bill Graves
Fire Chief
Snyder Fire Department


I appreciate getting a response from someone in the know, with the correct information.

I had known there were supposed to be new sirens obtained from a grant, but never knew what had become of them. I'm glad they're finally being put to use.

I'd like to use this space to disseminate local information when I have it. Please let me know your thoughts on this method, and feel free to share my blog with others on your list.

No comments:

Post a Comment